A great smile is an assured way to boost self-confidence. Studies have also shown that orthodontic treatments enhance an individual’s social life and increases career opportunities for them. It provides potential oral benefits as misaligned teeth are harder to clean and set the stage for tooth decay and gum diseases. Straight teeth are an asset for an individual as it makes chewing comfortable, helps in easy teeth cleaning, enhancing confidence etc.
The two newest choices when considering orthodontics for misaligned teeth are clear aligners or Invisalign and lingual braces. The traditional orthodontics consists of wires, brackets and elastics. With new systems available now, patients can decide and make choices according to their needs.
Both Invisalign and lingual braces have aesthetic advantages as both set of braces are less noticeable by others. Invisalign are transparent and hard to notice while Lingual braces are placed on the back of the teeth. Most people do not like to wear the traditional braces because of the front-facing metal brackets and wires. This makes them self-conscious about their looks but with these latest and modern options, teeth can be moved into correct position without braces showing.
Lingual braces are braces placed behind the teeth. Orthodontists require special training for this. The process involves following steps:
- Taking an impression of the teeth
- Sending it to dental laboratory to create customized brackets
- Once complete (usually take 6 weeks) allows dentist to start cementing the braces onto back surface of the teeth
They are clear aligners that are smooth, invisible and comfortable to wear over the teeth. The procedure involves following steps:
- Dentist take X-rays, pictures and impression of the teeth
- Create digital 3-D image of them
- Prepare a treatment plan
- Series of custom made Invisalign is created
- New set of aligner is to be worn after every two weeks until the treatment is complete
Which Option Is Better?
Invisalign is better to lingual braces because of the below mentioned reasons:
- Invisalign is clear and more comfortable than lingual braces.
- They are changed every two weeks and gradually move the teeth into desired position whereas lingual braces are fixed and bonded behind the teeth.
- People are more tolerant to Invisalign than lingual braces because their tongue is sensitive to metal appliances.
- Invisalign is not limited in the types of food one likes to have, as they can be removed and refitted while other appliances cannot be.
- Invisalign are gentler on teeth unlike other systems.
- The process is quicker and less expensive than lingual braces. Average treatment time in Invisalign is 1 year only.
Invisalign is gaining popularity as the technology in this is constantly improving and helping in treating many types of malocclusions. It is more aesthetic option to go with as braces cannot be noticed by anyone. Get Invisalign braces in San Diego at Irresistible Smiles, as nowadays getting your teeth aligned is not that horrible!